Friday, March 17, 2006

Out of Sight, Out of Mind

Last few days whizzed past me like pages of an interesting book.
Met up/caught up with some friends. Some by chance, some arranged.
It was as tho, i missed a huge chunk or chapters off their lives ever since i started working overseas, and now it's all coming back to me.

Had sushi with my misses. I'm not really a sushi girl, not any good with those raw sashimi and good richness japanese food. But i'm good with those fried cooked food, nibble bit here and there and i had fun listening, contributing to a meal of updates, gossips, laments and cheers.

I met up with another old friend whom i haven met in eons. The last time we went out on a one-one basis was like.. let's see...2 years ago? Went for a drink at Babyface, One Fullerton. Quite a good place to chill out and listen to the ocassional jazz, sappy songs and between breaks, to catch up on our recent events. There's not much to say when one's not working(on my part) but it was good to offer a listening ear to listen to problems and issues. We toasted to life's events and turnings. Laughed at how things have changed, i gave a silent prayer that life has been good to me so far. As i listened, i wondered how unique and yet common our lives take on. How seemingly distance and yet, intricately connected in a way not many see. How you may share an encounter so similar to someone so vastly different from you, of which you prob will never know its connection if not a session of just chatting, catching up over a gold rum and red wine. *yes, i wish i could say lychee martini. yummy*

Missed chilling session with ruffy. Well, ours more like caffeine joints during the day. *sighs*
Gosh, seems so long since we done that. The last time i was chilling in the same country with him, i was alone at this chic cafe near Siam Paragon. Interesting alright, but a tad alone. Sobz.

Next day after my chill-out session, i went back to NTU for career fair. Okay, seems weird to be back there afterall, i was there for last year's career fair. It was nice alone, looking around, being stopped by financial planners of cos. As i was formally dressed ( scheduled to go for an interview), one even mistook me for one of the booth exhibitors' employees. Of cos, I love this part when i was asked:...

Staff A ( of XXX company): Excuse me, are u a graduating student?
Me:No..(haha, they think i'm younger!with that answer)
Staff A: Oh, are you interested in knowing more about XYZ?
Me: No, i've heard about it.
Staff A: How about leaving your contacts in the event you want to find out more?
Me: Oh, i've done that already...Last year!
(hiaks)

I had this difficult episode of struggling to get away from a financial planner when a friend came to my rescue ( with a loud "Hi, jingwen!" and she just helped brush that guy off and took me hand in hand away!=) hiaks, great seeing some juniors and was giving advice on finding job early and stuffs when i suddenly realize, she's an IA Student and She took half day leave to find out the latest JOb Markets. Geez, should keep my mouth shut when there are people more informed than me. SOme kinda senior i am.=P Shared some stuffs with her, walked around and haha, she was telling me all about the freebies.(which surprisingly, i wasnt impressed at all)

After we parted aways and i continued walking around... was enjoying the fact that i was somewhat a stranger to this familiar place, when i was stopped again in my tracks by a hall friend, whom i used to work in the same committee with. Kinda funny, we spoke more yesterday than we did throughout my hall stay. As we walked around, I asked him about hall (to be frank, i was hardly involved in hall stuffs so to me, i was amazed that i stil have hall friends that i can bump into and started chatting).

As i listened to some of the hall events, the people that i know (who) but dont know them personally, recalling some of the activities i used to join( hall hockey, netball and softball), hearing him talk about FYP over a cup of ice ribena... i felt a tinge of regret for not being more active in hall. Not that i had a choice since i was heavily involved in archery during my first year. We chatted abit more and he told me about the new halls with air-conditioning. Looks pretty condo like to me. (but give me a chance, i'll still stay back in the normal dorms) More communal living. More like poor students, hoping about rooms, be it borrowing mop, watching Tv, chatting with others, playing bridge, downoading. Hehe.

We exchanged contacts and parted ways. Kinda like playing board games, U leave this point( this square ) and you take a few steps and you might bump into another player, and interact. Then by roll of dice, in real life, it's by chances of fate or events, you leave that spot and you moved on... till you meet again.

On another separate ocassion, i met up with another old friend for dinner at Tiong Bahru.
This old friend marks many years of memories. It was good to meet up after a period of not really speaking much to each other. Some quiet pauses in between chats, prob awkward, prob weird, but in all, it was a good time just seeing another old familiar face.

There's one thing about me i have learnt about myself for the past few days. Prob enlightened by a friend over rum at babyface.
Cherish is a word that comes in and out of my life. I cherished and i forgot. And then, something happened and i cherished. Something/ someone struck me, and i remembered.

I'm more rational than i tot. Ability to separate personal and work is something i din see myself until i seen others.

I'm quite a forgetter when i'm occupied. No, i'm not coming up with excuses. For these are mere facts which i have seen and experienced for myself.

I've forgotten my outing with the girls yesterday at carl's junior. My phone was down and i guess they were trying to contact me while i was out. I was too caught up with my stuffs that i've forgotten about it. Girls' if your reading this, I'm sorry. It slipped off my mind and i shant deny it.=( This date was informed by hunny wenny a week ago, and it din register. To think i was telling her how i spent last week at carl's junior too with the boardgamers. Same place, same time, just one week apart.

I always tot i was good with dates and outings. I never see the point of needing an organizer to note down certain appointments (cos seriously, if i really want an organizer, i will find it filled to the brim.. aka when i was working back then). If not, it seemed pointless to have a relatively blank page all the time with the ocassional...

" Threading at 6.30 pm. Meet at Little India Mrt."
" Arranged to meet with Clericians. Time unknown. Venue Unknown. "
or " Grocery shopping. Check fridge for list"

I wont go to the organizer day by day to check what i have since it will be empty. I wake up, i do what i feel like doing and i get my things done.

Cos, usually i live by the day. I dont arrange like way before and then i forget. But this time, I felt bad that the girls' went back carls jnr to find me when they couldn contact me, thanks tinkering for asking about me and hunnywenny for checking on me when my phone finally came alive after being recharged at midnight.

Well, it's time to grab a bite aka my lunch. After bro's back, will drive him to register Advanced Theory Driving (haha) and then it's off to Threading.

No Prize for guessing venue and time.



No comments: