Monday, October 19, 2009

Shanghai - Hangzhou ( rather disjointed blog)

It's a hot Monday afternoon, I do not have luxury of having off-in lieu, so it's kind of a forced leave today, which i did not mind, having spent the last 8 days or so in Shanghai.

I had lots to unpack, lots to organize, photos to upload, memories to update. That is perhaps, the most tedious part of travelling - - the post moterm, and the re-settling back to your current lifestyle, work, place.

A couple of highlights from this trip==

One of the things which bugged me initially and which i've gotten better with practice was explaining/ repeating to people that i'm alone.

Eg: ( all in Mandarin)
At the cafe: Table for how many?
ME: 1
Waiter: 1 only?
Me: Yup, 1 Only
Waiter: ( glances around to confirm)
Me: Yup I'm alone

Or...
At the Taxi Stand queuing:

Group of guys (GOG): Miss, alone taking the cab?
Me: yup
GOG: That's so not economical, why dont we share?
Me: No, thanks
GOG: Where are you going? Maybe it's on the way?
Me: I doubt so.
GOG: Why are you alone?
Me:... * feign ignorance*

OR....
At the river cruise:
Boat man: How many of u miss?
Me: 1
Boat man: 1 only?
Me: Yup
BOat man: Want to book the boat?
Me: No thanks
Boat Man: Then you got to wait
Me: okay.. ( sits on boat and wait) While he questions why i'm alone at West Lake...

OR EVEN....
at the conference:
3mmer: When you heading back?
Me: 17 Oct
3mmer: Visiting Supplier??
Me: Heading to Hangzhou
3mmer: With your boss?
Me: No.. alone
3mmer: Alone?? a girl?

*Explains again...*

Anyway, back to the highlights!
1. Ventured out alone in the streets of Shanghai, the bund, had a nice cuppa coffee








2. Queuing up for cabs with the locals ( at night in Shanghai, and day at Hangzhou Train station)
3. Tried Beef Stomach ( would never have done that in Singapore)






4. Had 3 shots of Chinese Rice Wine (Lethal: 53% Alcohol Content)











(photo courtesy of Kristin, who insisted i drink (can see the flushed face) I believe, the arm behind me belongs to Brian.

5. Followed by chinese massage after that (Masseurs commented that we reek of alcohol)




The Chemical & Polymer Folks From Left: (representing US, China, Singapore), Mr Korea is still stuck at his massage. All of us with our messy hairdo.

6. KTV with Managing Director
7. Our bus got a traffic violation ticket from the Police (having drove into the wrong One-way Street)
8. Boss concocted Gin-tonic for me
9. Learnt a little about pearls






10. Tried Nan-Xiang Xiao Long Bao
11. Took Train to Hangzhou alone (with no itinerary in mind, except to go West Lake)

Ticket: Checked







Secured Seat: Checked


Breakfast?: Checked (got Hotel to pack a breakast bag for me since i left hotel at 5.30aM!)






Self Portriat as i enter the 1st class Cabin! WooYOO.
12. Made a friend (this lady from Hei Long Jiang) while cruising West Lake in the afternoon. So i was just quiet for the whole morning at West Lake. Haha.

There's May! A very bubbly girl who travelled on her own, she vistied Xiamen before making her way to Hangzhou, she was in Hangzhou for 2 days on her own now and boy, were we glad to have found each other for company as we cycled along West Lake. I rem a guy commenting on the bus (he overheard our conversation, cant help as the bus was crowded) (yes, May taught me how to take the public bus (it cost only 2 Yuan (Slightly over 40 cents)) that both of us are so detailed in trying to learn out more about each other as we chatted about our families, our work, our schooling system, our vegetable costs.. Yes (vegetable costs).
My rented bicylce. May teaching me how to lock.. Of cos, i wasn paying much attention.


Morning scene on a Friday Morning.



Self-Peddle Boats.


13.Took a Stranger's car ride up to Long Jing Mountain to buy Long Jing Tea Leaves ( negotiated fare: 10 Yuan equivalent to about slightly more than 2 SGD)

14. Cycled around West Lake

15. Made a few international friends ( all 3Mmers), actually we all corresponded through emails some point in time, but it's really nice now, to be able to put a face with the name.

Was really fortunate to be able to go for this trip, to meet and learn from the commodity leaders. I really enjoyed myself, and never knew that i would explore anywhere alone ( in China).

Having called my mum ONLY after i reached Hangzhou station that i will be spending the night there alone. ( Her reaction was mixed, worried and at the same time surprised that i was capable of doing that! I guess all the while, she assumed i was just thinking aloud, not intending to do that since i did not make any plans or research whatsoever).
*****************************************
Back to Shanghai's 1st Night:

I really enjoyed myself on my first night, having reach the hotel at about 6pm, i settled down and left the hotel at about 8 pm to ask for recommendation of where to go at the bund for dinner!

I reached the river, and i just started snapping away, as i reckon ( once my boss, my boss's boss is here in Shanghai, there's probably alot of entertaining and meetings, and other obligated visits), and i took like hundreds of pictures that night? No doubt, i was really silly taking self portraits, much to the amusement of those beside me.

I've never been to Shanghai before this, and the first thing i noticed when i reached was how much constructions were going on, be it residentials, commerical buildings, roads, highways, train lines. All hyped up and scheduled to be read for the World Expo 2010 that's happening in Shanghai next year.
Not sure if i'll have a chance to visit Shanghai for the conference again, i highly doubt so, since i believe, they will send my other colleagues this time.

The pace is fast, it's very modern, it's really safe to take cab anywhere by yourself and the cab fares' relatively cheap.
Video taken on the 1st Night.



This video took me eons to upload onto blogger, but i really wanted to share it, It's not exactly a fanstic video,rather grainy effects . However, I was enchanted if you may, by the violinist and she was also part of the reason i parted with 30 yuan to buy a cup of coffee and sat by the river, enjoying the music in the relatively chilled air in Shanghai. Yes, no doubt, i was feeling alone, but strangely, that was also the nicest part of it as i sat there.


No obligation to check if anyone want to leave for shopping, or wanted to sight-see elsewhere, or wanted to just go indoors because it was cold! It was just me, myself and my trusted camera. Hiaks. Was deliberating whether to bring my DSLR, but mum advised not to since this is afterall, still a business trip and what's a girl lugging so much stuffs? (on hind sight, very wise advice)

Sadly, maybe because there werent much guests outdoor, the very talented and pretty violinist ended her act shortly and took her leave. I too then ventured off else where after watching several boats past me.
(more pictures)

Haha, after taking this shot, i was thinking to myself: This is my 3rd Tower Shot i took this year. I had one at Tokyo, one at KL and the 3rd in Shanghai!

Pearl TV Tower?
KL Tower. ( I just took the pic from fB, hence the small pic)

Tokyo Tower.
*** to be continued.

No comments: